Monday, January 31, 2011

Speechy pie

Maybe I'll post my speech here. I don't really like it... And maybe you people reading it wouldn't like it either... But  whatever. Comment if you want me to put my speech on here or not.Or just about anything else.

PLEASE COMMENT!!!

I know this is in the beginning, and there aren't many stories and it's not that funny, but I only have one comment (thanks Kay Kay!!! I like your blog too!!!) and I'd like some positive feedback or some similar stories of yuor own or constructive criticism or ANYTHING ELSE you have to say!!! I have over 150 views (which half of that is me, but, well... I can't really help it when I'm editing it myself) and only one comment.
Is just one comment from my readers too much to ask???

P.S. I don't want this to be a mean post or anything, I'd just like to know what you people think. I really love it when a new person sees it and I've already had viewers from Australia, the US and the United Kingdom, and of course here (Canada!!! YAY!!!).

I'm going to see if I can make a Canadian flag, just to make this fun.

___________________
|||||||         /^^^\          |||||||
|||||||   ,^^^        ^^^,    |||||||
||||||| <____  _____>  |||||||
|||||||            |            |||||||
-------------------------

YAY CANADA!!!!

(Yeah I know... It's horrible.)

UPDATE: Here is my speech, if anyone wants to read it. (Oh, and sorry if it's kinda long... But it had to be three-five minutes. It was about 3:30 when I read it to the class.)


Speech
Stereotypes

You all know stereotypes. Especially for us Canadians. Like that we drink maple syrup, play hockey all the time, ride polar bears everywhere, and it’s always cold here, eh? They’re certainly funny, but not always true. Honourable judges, teachers, and fellow students, my speech is about stereotypes.

Here’s a definition from the Urban Dictionary: ‘A stereotype is a commonly-held view about a particular group of people, like a nation, social group, gender, religion, et cetera. Stereotypes are often incorrect or offensive.’ This means that many people think of a group by the same perspective, either in a good or bad way. Like how people think that Asians are smart, for example. Some people think of that as good, so they admire Asians, while other people will be jealous and think it’s not fair.

Stereotypes are usually made by someone noticing or assuming something about a certain group of people or person who is different from them self. They tell other people about it, and eventually a lot of people end up believing this assumption and morph this information into completely different ideas, and a stereotype is formed.

On a website where a person asked how stereotypes are made, someone answered: “Small, narrow-minded people just grouping certain types of innocent "apples" into the same barrel as the rotten ones. It's easier just to hate ALL of "them", than to see the big picture.” I really like this definition and I think it describes well how stereotypes come to be what they are.

There are three steps to stereotyping. First, we develop social categories and assign traits to those categories. For example, we could say that teachers are intellectual and strict. Second, we put people in the groups based on easily observable information about them, such as their gender or physical appearance. Third, people who seem to belong in a certain group are assigned the traits that were associated with the group. Using the previous example, we could say that if someone was a teacher, they are definitely intellectual and strict.

Stereotypes can be subconscious, so that they bias our decisions and actions. Even people who consciously don’t want to be biased are affected. So people who think they’re being equal to everyone and not agreeing with stereotypes, might be wrong. Personal experiences shape stereotypes to some extent, but they are mainly provided to us through cultural upbringing and media images.

Stereotypes are spread on the media and TV shows a lot. The people being stereotyped don’t have much to say in the matter. They’re just actors, after all. But the stereotypes can spread negative feelings about a group of people.
Every reality TV show that features teenage girls shows stereotypes, like how blonds are stupid, that every teenage girl is thin and pretty, and that the ‘popular people’ are mean and only want to make the non-popular people feel stupid, ugly and horrible.

Stereotypes aren’t just about race or gender or other mainly known stereotype groups. Think about someone from a different city, or who supports a different sports team than you, or is in a different class at school. We have our own stereotypes about them. And it’s not always what we know. It’s sometimes what people tell us, and what we believe or make up ourselves.

We all know that most stereotypes aren’t true, and we shouldn’t get mad over them, and definitely not believe all of them. There’s usually just a little bit of truth in stereotypes, but it’s been changed many times and added to, so it’s not as true as it used to be.

So if you’ve heard all of the stereotypes for all different religions, races, nations, genders, and anything else you can be stereotyped for, one thing must be true: If I’m a person then I must be stereotyped... Thank you.

UPDATE: I got my speech mark today!!! I got an 84%. YAY!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment